The goal and task of the department is to create a greater awareness of sustainability at the University of Stuttgart and within the student body. As part of the student representation, we are the first point of contact for all questions and suggestions regarding sustainability at the university.
Our projects aim to make the university more sustainable and to encourage students to think and act sustainably. To this end, we often work together with other actors at the university: departments, university groups, departmental groups, and bodies of the university administration. Current projects include the establishment of a Green Office within the university administration, the exchange with the Studierendenwerk about more sustainable food and beverage offerings, and the organization and hosting of sustainability days.
Furthermore, the department is committed to improving the networking of existing initiatives and projects in the field of sustainability, because only together can we make the university more sustainable.
Since our establishment at the beginning of 2019, we have already been able to implement a number of projects.
The completed projects as well as the projects we are currently working on are listed below:
- Sustainability Weeks @ Universities BaWü
- Establishment of a Green Office at the University of Stuttgart
- Participation in projects on climate neutrality at the University of Stuttgart
- Sustainability within stuvus → Revision of guidelines
- Sustainability in teaching (foundation of working group)
- Sustainability in the canteens and cafeterias → AK Green Canteen
- Erstsemesterakademie BaWü zukunftsfähig (German only)
- Guidelines for sustainability within the student body (German only)
- Sustainability Days 2020 (German only)
- Sustainability in SEPUS (Structural and Development Plan of the University of Stuttgart)
- Project report "Photovoltaics and sustainable energy supply at the University of Stuttgart" (German only)
- Sustainability Days 2019 (German only)
- Image film about sustainability at the University of Stuttgart (YouTube, German only)
- Information campaign about "veganism" at the University of Stuttgart on 24.10.2019 (YouTube, German only)
- Talk by Ed Winters ("Earthling Ed") on the topic "Living in times of climate crisis - How to bring about positive change" on 30.11.2019 (Facebook, German only)
The following stuvus working groups belong to the sustainability department:
Furthermore, the following working groups also have a strong reference to sustainability:
- AK Fahrradwerkstatt (bicycle repair shop)
- AK International Green Group (e.g. waste separation in the dormitories)
Sustainability at the University of Stuttgart
We have summarized some information about sustainability at the University of Stuttgart on the page stuvus.de/en/sustainability. Among other things, we address the following points there:
- What is sustainability?
- Why is sustainability important for us - the student council of the University of Stuttgart?
- Sustainability at Universities
- Structures on sustainability at the University of Stuttgart
- Student university groups
- Sustainability activities at the University of Stuttgart
- Sustainability recommendations for everyday life
Mailing list »Nachhaltig am Campus«
There is an e-mail distribution list " Sustainable on Campus" (only in German). Here you can subscribe to the e-mail distribution list to receive information about sustainability topics from the various initiatives and people at the University of Stuttgart.
Knowledge Management (German only)
Naturally, there are often personal changes in the student community. Knowledge management is therefore very important, but not exactly easy. In a public wiki, in which everyone has read and write access, we would like to try to collect as much information as possible to make it easier to get started with the engagement for sustainability at the University of Stuttgart (currently German only):